Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

InsideToronto Article: AT ISSUE: Lakeshore's new generation moves in

Found this article to be touching on something that a lot of New Torontonians are feeling right now. As someone who went to school in New Toronto and grew up in Long Branch I feel I've earned the right to stick my foot out there and say that Mimico, New Toronto, and Long Branch have always been known as the blue collar, working-class, rough around the edges neighbourhoods. My Dad moved down from Timmins with his family when he was 18 to a small apartment in Mimico. He still fondly boasts about how 'you were careful who you messed around with in Mimico'. But it's these same traits that give these particular neighbourhoods their charm and character and sets them apart from the uptight, yuppie, hipster neighbourhoods sprawling up in other parts of the city. Not to mention its a big reason why myself and Brandon wanted to move back here. It has that uniqueness about it that is so difficult to describe to anyone else (dare I say 'outsiders'). I'm sure growing up in these neighbourhoods had a profound impact on shaping MY character (it's all making sense now, eh guys?). Granted I wouldn't mind a Starbucks (I enjoy my caffe Americano as much as the next gal), but as the new generation patiently waits for change and revitalization to return lets hope these neighbourhoods never lose their original grit in the process.


2 comments:

  1. That is EXACTLY how I feel about the neighbourhood we settled in at Main and Danforth. We're like the East end equivalent of New Toronto. Love the grit. But yeah, a Starbucks would be nice, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn skippy! Lakeshore for life!

    Oh and in response to your facebook post, I myself no longer reside near Laburnham Park, but my parents and little bro still do (they're never leaving), but I'm there every other day eating their food (like a good daughter). Hubby and I live in a condo in Mystic Pointe as we both didn't want to stray too far away.

    Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete